Saturday, April 20, 2024
DiariesEverest 2023

Everest 2023 Updates – 9th May

 

Updates from 9th May from those aiming to climb high on Everest in 2023 

 


 

Trent Thorne

Are back in base camp from camp 2 after finishing our second rotation.

Bloody cold and windy morning – great to be back basking in the sunlight at base camp

 


 

Andrew Aziz

I am back to basecamp but plan is to go back up to C2, and C3 for another round of climtization today. Weather has been unusually not cooperating this year and rope has not been fixed to the Everest summit yet. No one has been higher than C4 so far.

This going up and down is last rotation and after that we rest until weather is ready for summit push. Probably around May 15-20.

 


 

Suhajda Szilárd

Studying the forecast, I am almost tempted, but it would be careless to start as the third acclimatization round must be perfectly successful!

I can’t afford to risk the obviously uncertain weather: crazy winds are blowing up there – but I must reach 7900 meters! This is a key one.

 


 

Craig Hunter

Some of the climbers I have been walking with are recovering at lower altitudes, while others are staying at base camp.

We’re hopeful for a potential weather window in the middle of the month. Keep your fingers crossed for us

 


 

Mike King

Got out of Base Camp for a zoomed out look of Everest, Lhotse & Nuptse. Waiting for winds to settle down…7-10 days but who knows.

 


 

Climbing The Seven Summits

Our team has been incredibly diligent about staying active training, ice climbing and doing acclimatization hikes this season during inclement weather and down times. This diligence will pay off during their summit bids. Patience is hard when you’re waiting to climb the tallest mountain on earth but positively and a solid work ethic pay dividends. We are very proud of this team.

 


 

Ben Jones

Great week spent on Everest between Camps 1,2, and 3! No crowds, a little windy, and a lot of cards. We are now back at Basecamp enjoying showers, wifi, and less wind.

 


 

Altitude Junkies

Great news! On May 6th, our team successfully reached Camp 1 on Mount Everest in less than six hours. It was an awesome accomplishment, and everyone on the team was strong and made it to Camp 1 safely.

Before reaching Camp 1, we had to cross the Khumbu Icefall, which required us to navigate through many ladders and crevasses, some of which were quite challenging with short and long vertical hanging.

Camp 1 is located at an altitude of 6000m and is known to be an avalanche-prone area, particularly during heavy snowfall from Nuptse and the West Shoulder. To ensure safety and proper acclimatization, we usually spend one night at Camp 1 based on the weather forecast.

It’s essential to take precautions and keep a close eye on the weather forecast when climbing Mount Everest. The Khumbu Icefall and the avalanche-prone areas can be hazardous, but with proper training and experience, our team was able to overcome these challenges.