A round-up of today’s updates from the mountains of the Karakoram.
(Updated throughout the day)
“Karakorum Expeditions K2 summit push is underway!
“Jenn Drummond and her team arrived at camp 2, Samina Baig and some other clients are at camp 1
“Jordi Tosas, Stephan Keck and Rick Allen are attempting a new route on K2 south-east face!
“Due to storms and high winds our tents at camp 1, camp 2 and 3 are destroyed, we have re-established new tents at C1, C2 and hope tomorrow at c3.
“Fotis Theocharis is attempting Broad Peak.
“Hope all goes well.
“Please do keep the entire team in your prayers.”
“Pioneer K2 Expedition Summit Push.
I just literally spoke with Mingma Sherpa through Video link.
All team members safely reached to C2 meanwhile fixing team reached to C3 as they began one day earlier from Base camp.
Tomorrow whole team will be heading to C3 and Fixing team to C4.
It has been reported and we saw while our video conversations that some tents broken due to strong winds.”
“Shehroze left K2 basecamp at 3:45 a.m. and reached Camp 1 in the morning.
“He is carrying nearly 20kg of load and at the moment is on his way to Camp 2.”
“We have started our climb again. Will resume search, both physical and by drones; above 8000m and beyond bottleneck. I am hopeful of finding a trace and answers.”
“Dear family, friends and well-wishers, I with my team have arrived at camp 1 on K2, I am on my summit push now!
“We aim to summit on 27th July, if all goes well!
“The storm and high winds destroyed our tents at camp 1, camp 2 and camp 3, we had to bring new tents. It’s hard work on K2 and I am proud of my team for their great work!”
“Thank you to each one of you for your constant prayers. Please keep me and my team in your prayers.”
“I have a small stomach bug that kept me up all night. I used bags in my tent for “different things” last night, so I didn’t have to get out in the storm. I know TMI but want to be completely transparent about this with all of you. I am pretty sure the bug is from a half of a fried egg. I don’t even like eggs, but I was trying to be more creative with my eating, and I’m paying for it.
“We’re waiting to see how the team and guides will break down our second K2 summit push. There is currently not enough room for all of us at the various upper camps, so we need to break up into a few groups and go at different times to keep the mountain from being too crowded. I’ll check back in when I can but wanted to share the latest with all of you.”
“Unfortunately, the mountain action has been stopped.
“Monika had to return to base due to HAP’s health issues (second one already…) who replaced the unfortunate predecessor. Unfortunately, there is also a lack of other HAPs at this moment, and the weather window does not give a chance to bring all the equipment alone.
“The powerlessness of this situation is all the more depressing, because Monica was motivated and in very good condition, and the top is most within her reach… As you can see, the unpredictability of the mountains and people is sometimes very similar. It’s a good thing these troubles didn’t happen high, which would be a big threat to both of them.
“As soon as there’s a good internet connection, and today it’s bad, Monika will definitely write more about this incident.”
“Wouter and Luc have arrived well together with their Hap’s in camp 2, from Broad Peak. Tomorrow they will continue to camp 3.
Niels Jespers is also in camp 2 of the K2. Jeff Spelmans had to quit as well as Oswald Rodrigo Pereira.”
“Its time !!!!
“Last cup of comfort before going for extremely cold breathing in thin air…. The plan is to go for Camp 3 and then to spend few hours in Ultra high altitude zone. Needs prays and wishes.”
“At this altitude, Kim has already spent about a day, including almost 14 hours spent on a 1×2 meter snow ledge inside the crack on his legs (and for some time being Anastasia’s neighbor). Anastasia fell through when she was on the railing rope, and Kim (according to her) calmly descended the same rope, believing that the descent lies exactly where the railing rope is, i.e. steeply down to the Chinese side.
“Unfortunately, even the second attempt to top the undefeated Muchu Chhish failed.
“This time we were not betrayed by bad weather, but a large amount of snow on the ridge at 6600 m.
Main Pic: CumbriaToK2 Team